Below is our collection of tidbits, odds 'n ends for Mercoal.
This page contains two sections:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Mercoal ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
Bickerdike - 32 miles [51.5 km]<1> to the Northeast of Mercoal [Map]
Entrance - 28 miles [45.1 km] to the Northwest [Map]
Jasper - 45 miles [72.4 km] to the Southwest [Map]
Medicine Lodge - 25 miles [40.2 km] to the North [Map]
Mountain Park (Historic) - 17 miles [27.4 km] to the Southwest [Map]
Pocahontas - 34 miles [54.7 km] to the West [Map]
How Far From Mercoal to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Mercoal to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Mercoal and extending to:
- Edmonton [Map], which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 150 miles [241.4 km] to the East (E). If you could drive a straight line from Mercoal to Edmonton, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 9 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON [Map]) is 1,909 miles [3,072.2 km] to the East (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 75 days and walking would take 109 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock [Map]) is 6,332 miles [10,190.4 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba [Map]) is 7,096 miles [11,419.9 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican [Map]) is 5,213 miles [8,389.5 km] and it lies to the Northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Mercoal. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Mercoal) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Mercoal. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Mercoal
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Mercoal. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.1623, Longitude: -117.0939 [Map].
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Mercoal to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 336.737 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 338.025 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 323.644 degrees.|