Communities Also Named McLaughlin ...
We have found four communities that share the name McLaughlin.
Within Alberta, the name McLaughlin is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another four communities that are located throughout in Canada and the United States. Of these four communities, one is located in Canada and the other three communities are located in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Crittenden County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Arkansas community of McLaughlin [Crittenden County].
- Delta County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Michigan community of McLaughlin [Delta County].
- New Brunswick
- This McLaughlin lies 1,912 miles [3,077.1 km]<2> to the east.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McLaughlin
- South Dakota
- Corson County
- This McLaughlin is located in Corson County and lies 648 miles [1,042.9 km]<2> to the southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McLaughlin
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Corson County community of McLaughlin.
Curious and Interesting Names Near McLaughlin ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blackfoot
- Blackfoot lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the north of McLaughlin.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blackfoot
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greenshields
- Greenshields lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the southwest of McLaughlin.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Greenshields came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenshields
- Lone Rock
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lone Rock
- Lone Rock lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the east of McLaughlin.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lone Rock came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lone Rock
- Paradise Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paradise Valley
- Paradise Valley lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the northwest of McLaughlin.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Paradise Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paradise Valley
How Far From McLaughlin to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as McLaughlin to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in McLaughlin and extending to:
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 143 miles [230.1 km]<2> to the west northwest (WNW). If you could drive a straight line from McLaughlin to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 9 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,621 miles [2,608.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 64 days and walking would take 93 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,217 miles [10,005.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,985 miles [11,241.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,043 miles [8,115.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for McLaughlin. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that McLaughlin could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- McLaughlin) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for McLaughlin. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from McLaughlinOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in McLaughlin. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.9833, Longitude: -110.1667 |
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from McLaughlin to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.138 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 331.67 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.051 degrees.||