Curious and Interesting Names Near La Crete ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Buffalo Head Prairie
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Buffalo Head Prairie
- Buffalo Head Prairie lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the east of La Crete
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Buffalo Head Prairie came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Buffalo Head Prairie
- High Level
- Rocky Lane
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rocky Lane
- Rocky Lane lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the north of La Crete
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rocky Lane
How Far From La Crete to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as La Crete to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in La Crete and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 339 miles [545.6 km]<1> to the south southeast (SSE). If you could drive a straight line from La Crete to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 20 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 14 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,909 miles [3,072.2 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 75 days and walking would take 109 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,003 miles [9,660.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,764 miles [10,885.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,919 miles [7,916.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for La Crete: www.lacretechamber.com/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- La Crete) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for La Crete. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from La CreteOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in La Crete. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 58.1932, Longitude: -116.4012 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from La Crete to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 336.145 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 337.733 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.259 degrees.||