Curious and Interesting Names Near Kovach ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Anthracite - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Anthracite. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Anthracite
- Anthracite was located 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the northwest of Kovach
- Castle Mountain
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Castle Mountain came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Castle Mountain
- Castle Mountain lies 38 miles [61.2 km]<2> to the northwest of Kovach
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Castle Mountain
- Dead Man's Flats
- Eisenhower Junction
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Eisenhower Junction came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eisenhower Junction
- Eisenhower Junction lies 38 miles [61.2 km]<2> to the northwest of Kovach
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eisenhower Junction
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Georgetown - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Georgetown. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Georgetown
- Georgetown was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Kovach
- Ghost Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ghost Lake
- Ghost Lake lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the northeast of Kovach
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ghost Lake
- Heritage Woods
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heritage Woods
- Heritage Woods lies 42 miles [67.6 km]<2> to the east of Kovach
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heritage Woods
- Jumping Pound
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jumping Pound
- Jumping Pound lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> to the east of Kovach
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jumping Pound
How Far From Kovach to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Kovach to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<5> community of Kovach once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Kovach and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 194 miles [312.2 km]<2> to the north northeast (NNE). If you could drive a straight line from Kovach to Edmonton, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 11 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,834 miles [2,951.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 72 days and walking would take 105 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,440 miles [10,364.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,207 miles [11,598.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,288 miles [8,510.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Alberta Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Kovach) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kovach. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.9333, Longitude: -115.1998
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Kovach, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Kovach to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.157 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 336.063 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.714 degrees.||