Curious and Interesting Names Near Kananaskis ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Anthracite (19 miles [30.6 km] to the northwest) - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Anthracite
- Anthracite was located 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the northwest of Kananaskis
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Anthracite. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Dead Man's Flats (6 miles [9.7 km] to the west)
- Georgetown (13 miles [20.9 km] to the west) - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Georgetown
- Georgetown was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the west of Kananaskis
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Georgetown. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Ghost Lake (18 miles [29 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ghost Lake
- Ghost Lake lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the northeast of Kananaskis
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ghost Lake
- Heritage Woods (37 miles [59.5 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heritage Woods
- Heritage Woods lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<1> to the east of Kananaskis
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heritage Woods
- Jumping Pound (24 miles [38.6 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jumping Pound
- Jumping Pound lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the east of Kananaskis
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jumping Pound
- Water Valley (35 miles [56.3 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Water Valley
- Water Valley lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<1> to the northeast of Kananaskis
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Water Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Water Valley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Water Valley<3>
How Far From Kananaskis to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Kananaskis to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Kananaskis and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 184 miles [296.1 km]<1> to the north northeast (NNE). If you could drive a straight line from Kananaskis to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 11 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,830 miles [2,945.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 72 days and walking would take 104 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,431 miles [10,349.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,197 miles [11,582.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,279 miles [8,495.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Kananaskis
Visit our Community Index for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Kananaskis. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Kananaskis) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Kananaskis. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from KananaskisOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kananaskis. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.0520, Longitude: -115.1054 |
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Kananaskis to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.084 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.988 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.635 degrees.||