Below is our collection of tidbits, odds 'n ends for Kahwin.
This page contains two sections:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Kahwin ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
Deerland - 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the Southwest of Kahwin [Map]
Goodfish Lake - 26 miles [41.8 km] to the Northeast [Map]
Hairy Hill - 25 miles [40.2 km] to the Southeast [Map]
Hollow Lake - 21 miles [33.8 km] to the Northwest [Map]
Saddle Lake - 27 miles [43.5 km] to the East [Map]
Smoky Lake - 6 miles [9.7 km] to the Northwest [Map]
Sprucefield - 20 miles [32.2 km] to the West [Map]
Star - 24 miles [38.6 km] to the Southwest [Map]
Weasel Creek - 25 miles [40.2 km] to the West [Map]
How Far From Kahwin to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Kahwin to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Kahwin and extending to:
- Edmonton [Map], which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 59 miles [95 km] to the Southwest (SW). If you could walk a straight line from Kahwin to Edmonton, with an average speed<2> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON [Map]) is 1,717 miles [2,763.2 km] to the East (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 67 days and walking would take 98 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock [Map]) is 6,193 miles [9,966.7 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba [Map]) is 6,959 miles [11,199.4 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican [Map]) is 5,043 miles [8,115.9 km] and it lies to the Northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Kahwin. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Kahwin) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kahwin. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 54.0694, Longitude: -112.3328 [Map].
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Kahwin to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.877 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 333.731 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.279 degrees.|