Curious and Interesting Names Near John D'Or Prairie ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Fox Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fox Lake
- Fox Lake lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the east of John D'Or Prairie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fox Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fox Lake
- Little Red River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Little Red River
- Little Red River lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the southeast of John D'Or Prairie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Little Red River came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Little Red River
How Far From John D'Or Prairie to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as John D'Or Prairie to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in John D'Or Prairie and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 347 miles [558.4 km]<1> to the south (S). If you could drive a straight line from John D'Or Prairie to Edmonton, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 20 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 14 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,867 miles [3,004.6 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 73 days and walking would take 106 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,965 miles [9,599.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,727 miles [10,826.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,874 miles [7,843.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- John D'Or Prairie) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for John D'Or Prairie. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from John D'Or PrairieOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in John D'Or Prairie. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 58.5000, Longitude: -115.1333 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from John D'Or Prairie to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.094 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 336.587 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.295 degrees.||