Our Genealogy Helper for Janet ...
Although we found mention of Janet during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Janet was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Janet (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Janet. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Janet:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Janet ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Janet.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Janet covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Mountain View Memorial Gardens
- Rocky View Garden of Peace Cemetery
- Union Cemetery
- Jewish Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Jewish Cemetery
- The Jewish Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located in Calgary.To be more precise, Jewish Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the west of Janet.
- Jewish Cemetery has also been known as:
- Calgary Jewish Cemetery
- Erlton Jewish Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jewish Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2172228<2>
- St. Mary's Cemetery
- St. Mary's Pioneer Cemetery
- Burnsland Cemetery
- Chinese Cemetery
- St. Marys Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Marys Cemetery
- St. Marys Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the west of Janet.
- St. Marys Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Marys Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Marys Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2149969<2>
- St. Mary's Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Mary's Pioneer Cemetery
- The St. Mary's Pioneer Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located in Calgary.Stated another way, St. Mary's Pioneer Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the west of Janet.
- St. Mary's Pioneer Cemetery has also been known as:
- Roman Catholic (RC) Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Mary's Pioneer Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2236429<2>
- Queen's Park Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Queen's Park Cemetery
- The Queen's Park Cemetery is a very large cemetery that is located in Calgary.To be more accurate, Queen's Park Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the northwest of Janet.
- Queen's Park Cemetery has also been known as:
- Calgary Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Queen's Park Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #639344<2>
- St. Barnabas Anglican Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Barnabas Anglican Church Cemetery
- St. Barnabas Anglican Church Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the west of Janet.
- St. Barnabas Anglican Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Barnabas Anglican Church Yard Cemetery
- St. Barnabas Anglican Churchyard Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Barnabas Anglican Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2235517<2>
- Continue List (24 more) ...
- Dalemead Cemetery
- Chevra Kadisha Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Chevra Kadisha Cemetery
- The Chevra Kadisha Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the south of Calgary.More precisely, Chevra Kadisha Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Janet.
- Chevra Kadisha Cemetery has also been known as:
- 37th Street Cemetery
- Jewish Cemetery
- Jewish Memorial Chapel Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chevra Kadisha Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2263707<2>
- Jewish Memorial Chapel Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Janet. See our List of 1890's Communities around Janet.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Communities in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Janet and then turned east". While Janet could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Janet as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Janet could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Alberta community named Janet.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Janet) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Janet. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from JanetOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Janet. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.0167, Longitude: -113.8667 |