Our Genealogy Helper for Herronton ...
Although we found mention of Herronton during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Herronton was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Herronton (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Herronton. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Herronton:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Herronton ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Herronton.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Herronton covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Blackie Cemetery
- Frankburg Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Frankburg Cemetery
- Frankburg Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the southwest of Herronton.
- Frankburg Cemetery has also been known as:
- Frankburg Mormon Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Frankburg Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2404290<3>
- Mt. View Mennonite Cemetery
- Vulcan Cemetery
- Dalemead Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Dalemead Cemetery
- Dalemead Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the northwest of Herronton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dalemead Cemetery
- Highwood Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Highwood Cemetery
- Highwood Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the west of Herronton.
- Highwood Cemetery has also been known as:
- High River Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Highwood Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2180755<3>
- Continue List ...
- Gleichen Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Gleichen Cemetery
- Gleichen Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the northeast of Herronton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gleichen Cemetery
- Davisburg Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Davisburg Cemetery
- Davisburg Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the northwest of Herronton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Davisburg Cemetery
- Reid Hill Cemetery
- St. Cecilia RC Cemetery
- Nanton Town Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Nanton Town Cemetery
- Nanton Town Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the southwest of Herronton.
- Nanton Town Cemetery has also been known as:
- Nanton Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nanton Town Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2199125<3>
- Okotoks Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Okotoks Cemetery
- Okotoks Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the west of Herronton.
- Okotoks Cemetery has also been known as:
- Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Okotoks Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #639341<3>
- Strathmore Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Herronton. See our List of 1890's Communities around Herronton.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Herronton and then turned west". While Herronton could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Herronton as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Herronton could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Alberta community named Herronton.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Herronton) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Herronton. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from HerrontonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Herronton. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.6333, Longitude: -113.4167 |
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|