Curious and Interesting Names Near Entrance ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Medicine Lodge
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Medicine Lodge
- Medicine Lodge lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the northeast of Entrance
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Medicine Lodge came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Medicine Lodge
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pocahontas
- Pocahontas lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the southwest of Entrance
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pocahontas came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pocahontas
How Far From Entrance to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Entrance to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Entrance and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 172 miles [276.8 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Entrance to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 10 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,934 miles [3,112.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 76 days and walking would take 110 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,329 miles [10,185.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,092 miles [11,413.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,216 miles [8,394.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Entrance. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Entrance) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Entrance. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.3667, Longitude: -117.7000 |
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Entrance to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 337.235 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 338.604 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 324.023 degrees.||