Our Genealogy Helper for Ensign ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Ensign (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Ensign. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Ensign:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- At this time (Dec 2022), GenDisasters website is currently offline due to a hacker attack. Hopefully they will be back soon.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Ensign ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Ensign.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Ensign covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Vulcan Cemetery
- Frankburg Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Frankburg Cemetery
- Frankburg Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the northwest of Ensign.
- Frankburg Cemetery has also been known as:
- Frankburg Mormon Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Frankburg Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2404290<2>
- Blackie Cemetery
- St. Cecilia RC Cemetery
- Nanton Town Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Nanton Town Cemetery
- Nanton Town Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the southwest of Ensign.
- Nanton Town Cemetery has also been known as:
- Nanton Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nanton Town Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2199125<2>
- Reid Hill Cemetery
- Champion Cemetery
- Mt. View Mennonite Cemetery
- Highwood Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Highwood Cemetery
- Highwood Cemetery lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the northwest of Ensign.
- Highwood Cemetery has also been known as:
- High River Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Highwood Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2180755<2>
- St. Vincent RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Vincent RC Cemetery
- St. Vincent RC Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the southwest of Ensign.
- St. Vincent RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Vincent Catholic Cemetery
- St. Vincent Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Vincent RC Cemetery
- Alston Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Alston Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Alston Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- The Alston Cemetery is located 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Carmangay.To be more precise, Alston Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km] to the southeast of Ensign.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alston Cemetery
- Stavely Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Stavely Cemetery
- The Stavely Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the west of Stavely.More precisely, Stavely Cemetery lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the southwest of Ensign.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Stavely Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2135597<2>
- Continue List (10 more) ...
- Dalemead Cemetery
- Davisburg Cemetery
- Okotoks Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Okotoks Cemetery
- Okotoks Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Ensign.
- Okotoks Cemetery has also been known as:
- Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Okotoks Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #639341<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Ensign. See our List of 1890's Communities around Ensign.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Ensign. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Ensign) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Ensign. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from EnsignOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ensign. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.4667, Longitude: -113.4333 |
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|