Our Genealogy Helper for Elk Point ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Elk Point (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Elk Point. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Elk Point ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Elk Point: Elk Pt.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Elk Point:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- At this time (Dec 2022), GenDisasters website is currently offline due to a hacker attack. Hopefully they will be back soon.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Elk Point ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Elk Point.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Elk Point covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Elk Point West Cemetery
- Ferguson Flats Cemetery
- St. Michael Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Michael Cemetery
- The St. Michael Cemetery is located 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the south of Myrnam.More accurately, St. Michael Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km] to the southwest of Elk Point.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Michael Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2531916<2>
- St. Michael Cemetery
- St. Paul RC Cemetery
- St. Peter Ukrainian Independent Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Peter Ukrainian Independent Cemetery
- The St. Peter Ukrainian Independent Cemetery is located 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the south of Myrnam.To be precise, St. Peter Ukrainian Independent Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km] to the southwest of Elk Point.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Peter Ukrainian Independent Cemetery
- Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery
- Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the west of Elk Point.
- Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery has also been known as:
- Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2506733<2>
- Rife Anglican Cemetery
- Ascension Ruth Greek Catholic Cemetery
- Frog Lake Cemetery
- Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
- Dewberry Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Dewberry Cemetery
- Dewberry Cemetery lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the southeast of Elk Point.
- Dewberry Cemetery has also been known as:
- Dewberry Community Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dewberry Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2231682<2>
- Continue List (19 more) ...
- Bohdan Pokrowa Cemetery
- Holy Family Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Holy Family Cemetery
- Holy Family Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the north of Elk Point.
- Holy Family Cemetery has also been known as:
- Catholic Cemetery
- Holy Family Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holy Family Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2417442<2>
- Beauvallon Seventh Day Adventist Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Beauvallon Seventh Day Adventist Church Cemetery
- Beauvallon Seventh Day Adventist Church Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the southwest of Elk Point.
- Beauvallon Seventh Day Adventist Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beauvallon Seventh Day Adventist Church Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Elk Point. See our List of 1890's Communities around Elk Point.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Elk Point. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Elk Point) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Elk Point. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Elk PointOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Elk Point. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.9002, Longitude: -110.9005 |
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|