Curious and Interesting Names Near Drayton Valley ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
(18 miles [29 km] to the west)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cynthia came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cynthia
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Cynthia
- Fern Creek
(30 miles [48.3 km] to the east)
(29 miles [46.7 km] to the northeast)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Keephills came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Keephills
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Keephills
(15 miles [24.1 km] to the southwest)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lodgepole came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lodgepole
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Lodgepole
(27 miles [43.5 km] to the north)
- Rocky Rapids
(4 miles [6.4 km] to the north)
- Round Valley
(9 miles [14.5 km] to the north)
(14 miles [22.5 km] to the northeast)
- Violet Grove
(4 miles [6.4 km] to the southwest)
(29 miles [46.7 km] to the northwest)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wildwood came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wildwood
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Wildwood
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Wildwood <2>
How Far From Drayton Valley to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Drayton Valley to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance<3> beginning in Drayton Valley and extending to:
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 64 miles [103 km]<3> to the east northeast (ENE). If you could walk a straight line from Drayton Valley to Edmonton, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,821 miles [2,930.6 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 72 days and walking would take 104 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,293 miles [10,127.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,058 miles [11,358.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,157 miles [8,299.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Drayton Valley: www.draytonvalley.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Drayton Valley) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Drayton Valley. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Drayton ValleyOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Drayton Valley. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.2215, Longitude: -114.9766 |
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Drayton Valley to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.014 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 336.076 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.209 degrees.||