Our Genealogy Helper for Derwent ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Derwent (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Derwent. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Derwent:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Derwent ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Derwent.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Derwent covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Ascension Ruth Greek Catholic Cemetery
- Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
- Bohdan Pokrowa Cemetery
- St. Peter Ukrainian Independent Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Peter Ukrainian Independent Cemetery
- The St. Peter Ukrainian Independent Cemetery is located 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the south of Myrnam.St. Peter Ukrainian Independent Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km] to the west of Derwent.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Peter Ukrainian Independent Cemetery
- Elk Point West Cemetery
- St. Michael Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Michael Cemetery
- The St. Michael Cemetery is located 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the south of Myrnam.Stated another way, St. Michael Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km] to the northwest of Derwent.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Michael Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2531916<2>
- St. Michael Cemetery
- Beauvallon Seventh Day Adventist Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Beauvallon Seventh Day Adventist Church Cemetery
- Beauvallon Seventh Day Adventist Church Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the west of Derwent.
- Beauvallon Seventh Day Adventist Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beauvallon Seventh Day Adventist Church Cemetery
- Dewberry Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Dewberry Cemetery
- Dewberry Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the east of Derwent.
- Dewberry Cemetery has also been known as:
- Dewberry Community Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dewberry Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2231682<2>
- Mannville Cemetery
- Vermilion Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Vermilion Cemetery
- Vermilion Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the south of Derwent.
- Vermilion Cemetery has also been known as:
- Vermilion Town Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vermilion Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2231686<2>
- Frog Lake Cemetery
- Continue List (16 more) ...
- Ferguson Flats Cemetery
- Musidora Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Musidora Cemetery
- Musidora Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the west of Derwent.
- Musidora Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Dmytry Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Musidora Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2382352<2>
- Christ Church Anglican / Tring Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Derwent. See our List of 1890's Communities around Derwent.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Derwent
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Derwent. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Derwent) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Derwent. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from DerwentOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Derwent. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.6552, Longitude: -110.9650 |
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|