Our Genealogy Helper for Cochrane ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Cochrane (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Cochrane. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Cochrane:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Cochrane ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Cochrane.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Cochrane covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- St. Andrew's Cemetery
- Mitford Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Mitford Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mitford Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mitford Cemetery
- Springbank United Church Cemetery
- Eden Brook Memorial Gardens
- West Brook Cemetery
- Wesley Cemetery
- Wesley Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the west of Cochrane.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Wesley Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wesley Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- St. Barnabas Anglican Church Cemetery
- Queen's Park Cemetery
- St. Marys Cemetery
- Saint Mary's Cemetery
- The Saint Mary's Cemetery is a very large cemetery that is located in Calgary.
- To be more precise, Saint Mary's Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the southeast of Cochrane.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Saint Mary's Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saint Mary's Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2149969<3>
- Saint Mary's Pioneer Cemetery
- St. Mary's Pioneer Cemetery
- Union Cemetery
- The Union Cemetery is a very large cemetery that is located in Calgary.
- To be more accurate, Union Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the southeast of Cochrane.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Union Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #1804353<3>
- Burnsland Cemetery
- The Burnsland Cemetery is a very large cemetery that is located in Calgary.
- More accurately, Burnsland Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the southeast of Cochrane.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Burnsland Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Burnsland Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #1981495<3>
- Chinese Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Cochrane. See our List of 1890's Communities around Cochrane.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Cochrane: www.cochrane.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Cochrane) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cochrane. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Cochrane
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cochrane. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.1893, Longitude: -114.4752
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|