A visit to the Hillside Cemetery ...
Since our focus is on geography, we don't have burial or interment information. Nor do we have any contact information for the Hillside Cemetery. For information of that nature, we suggest the Find-A-Grave<1> website: The Hillside Cemetery (FAG ID #1989522)
We have organized the cemeteries in our Gazetteer based on a problem that we had while working on our own genealogy. Without specifying the cemeteries involved, we found an ancestor that we believed to have been buried in one cemetery was actually buried elsewhere.
We discovered that his burial had been refused at the last moment and the family had scrambled to make new arrangements. By looking at nearby cemeteries, the surrounding communities and in newspapers of the period, we were finally able to locate his burial site.
Should you find yourself in the same situation, we hope that our Gazetteer helps you discover your lost ancestor.
The Location of the Hillside Cemetery ...
The Hillside Cemetery is a very large cemetery that is located outside and to the west of Medicine Hat.
Jump to Google Maps centered on the Hillside Cemetery
We are using the following GPS coordinates (latitude and longitude) for the Hillside Cemetery
Lat: 50.0277° (50° 1' 39")
Lon: -110.7135° (-110° 42' 48")
Location using the Alberta Township System:
Or the Northeast Quarter of Section 26, Township 012, Range 06, West of the 4th Meridian
Websites to help with your research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their websites are open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that might help with the Hillside Cemetery:
- Pages specific to Alberta:
- Cemetery Information and Directories:
- About the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ...
- Although we don't have a link to the Hillside Cemetery
itself, you might be curious about the African Methodist Episcopal Church. See their website at:
- The African Methodist Episcopal Church
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- At this time (Dec 2022), GenDisasters website is currently offline due to a hacker attack. Hopefully they will be back soon.
- Disaster Stories from Alberta
List of neighboring communities ...
The following 9 communities are within 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> of the Hillside Cemetery.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dunmore
- Dunmore lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the southeast of Hillside Cemetery.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dunmore
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Irvine
- Irvine lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the east of Hillside Cemetery.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Irvine came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Irvine
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Meadowlands
- Meadowlands lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the southeast of Hillside Cemetery.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Meadowlands
- Medicine Hat
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ralston
- Ralston lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the northwest of Hillside Cemetery.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ralston came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ralston
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Redcliff
- Redcliff lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the northwest of Hillside Cemetery.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Redcliff came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Redcliff
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Redcliff<4>
- Ross Glen
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ross Glen
- Ross Glen lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the east of Hillside Cemetery.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ross Glen
- Seven Persons
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Seven Persons
- Seven Persons lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the southwest of Hillside Cemetery.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Seven Persons came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Seven Persons
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Suffield
- Suffield lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the northwest of Hillside Cemetery.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Suffield
For the full list of neighboring communities with details, please visit our extended List of Communities.
List of the closest cemeteries ...
We know of 5 cemeteries that are within 10 miles [16.1 km] of the Hillside Cemetery. The cemeteries are listed in alphabetical order.
- Kin Coulee Cemetery
- Redcliff Cemetery
- Saamis Prairie View Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Saamis Prairie View Cemetery
- Saamis Prairie View Cemetery has also been known as:
- Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens
- Prairie View Cemetery
- Saamis Prairie View / Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saamis Prairie View Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2193982<1>
- Seven Persons Cemetery
- Whitla Cemetery
For an expanded list with details, please visit our List of cemeteries.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions ...
Our approach is to add the name of a cemetery whenever we see it mentioned - usually from newspapers, old books and maps. Typically we have little information to start with, but we continue to add detail as we find it.
We've created the following list to keep track of the sources that we found useful for the Hillside Cemetery:
- Referenced Find-A-Grave Entry: #1989522
- Referenced Books / Documents ...
- Alberta Sources - Cemeteries and other surname sources (Feb. 2007)
- Written by: Alberta Genealogical Society and other researchers, societies and groups
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- ) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point at the Hillside Cemetery. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.0277, Longitude: -110.7135 |
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|