Curious and Interesting Names Near Camrose ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bruce came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bruce
- Bruce lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the northeast of Camrose
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bruce
- Hay Lakes
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hay Lakes
- Hay Lakes lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the northwest of Camrose
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hay Lakes
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Meeting Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Meeting Creek
- Meeting Creek lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the south of Camrose
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Meeting Creek
- New Norway
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Poe came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Poe
- Poe lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the northeast of Camrose
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Poe
- Rolly View
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rolly View came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rolly View
- Rolly View lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the northwest of Camrose
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rolly View
- Round Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Round Hill
- Round Hill lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the northeast of Camrose
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Round Hill
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Camrose. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- August Solberg 'Gus' Marker (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Wetaskiwin (Alberta) on Tueday August 1, 1905 and died in Kingston (Ontario) on Tueday October 7, 1997 at the age of 92. He is buried at Cataraqui Cemetery (Frontenac County, Ontario).
- Wetaskiwin is located 22 miles [35.4 km] to the west of Camrose.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: August Solberg 'Gus' Marker<4>
How Far From Camrose to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Camrose to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Camrose and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 45 miles [72.4 km]<2> to the northwest (NW). If you could walk a straight line from Camrose to Edmonton, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take about three full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of two days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,732 miles [2,787.4 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 68 days and walking would take 99 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,267 miles [10,085.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,034 miles [11,320.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,112 miles [8,227 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Camrose: www.camrose.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Camrose) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Camrose. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Camrose
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Camrose. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.0181, Longitude: -112.8304
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Camrose to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.276 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.092 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.809 degrees.||