Our Genealogy Helper for Brocket ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Brocket (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Brocket. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Brocket ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
Another variation: Brockett.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Brocket:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Brocket ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Brocket.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Brocket covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Brocket Colony Cemetery
- Pincher Creek Fairview Cemetery
- Fairview Cemetery
- Springridge Mennonite Cemetery
- Pincher Creek Pioneer Cemetery
- Pincher Creek Colony
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Pincher Creek Colony
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Pincher Creek Colony. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Pincher Creek Colony lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the west of Brocket.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pincher Creek Colony
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2660492<2>
- Trinity Lutheran Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Trinity Lutheran Cemetery
- Trinity Lutheran Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the southwest of Brocket.
- Trinity Lutheran Cemetery has also been known as:
- Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Trinity Lutheran Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2314867<2>
- Fishburn Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Fishburn Cemetery
- Fishburn Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the south of Brocket.
- Fishburn Cemetery has also been known as:
- Fishburn United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fishburn Cemetery
- Hartley Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hartley Cemetery
- Hartley Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the southeast of Brocket.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hartley Cemetery
- St. Henry Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Henry Cemetery
- St. Henry Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the south of Brocket.
- St. Henry Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Henry RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Henry Cemetery
- Glenwood Cemetery
- Cowley Cemetery
- Continue List (29 more) ...
- Hill Spring Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hill Spring Cemetery
- Hill Spring Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the south of Brocket.
- Hill Spring Cemetery has also been known as:
- Hillspring Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hill Spring Cemetery
- Hillspring Pioneer Cemetery
- United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery
- United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the west of Brocket.
- United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery has also been known as:
- Doukhobor Cemetery
- United Doukhobors Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2526341<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Brocket. See our List of 1890's Communities around Brocket.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Brocket
Search for a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Brocket. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Brocket) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Brocket. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BrocketOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Brocket. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.5499, Longitude: -113.7499 |
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|