Curious and Interesting Names Near Boian ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
(27 miles [43.5 km] to the west)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chipman came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chipman
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Chipman
- Hairy Hill
(4 miles [6.4 km] to the south)
- Horseshoe Bay
(32 miles [51.5 km] to the northeast)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Horseshoe Bay came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Horseshoe Bay
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Horseshoe Bay
(29 miles [46.7 km] to the south)
(28 miles [45.1 km] to the northeast)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Owlseye came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Owlseye
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Owlseye
- Saddle Lake
(16 miles [25.7 km] to the northeast)
- Smoky Lake
(27 miles [43.5 km] to the northwest)
- Two Hills
(13 miles [20.9 km] to the southeast)
How Far From Boian to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Boian to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance<3> beginning in Boian and extending to:
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 64 miles [103 km]<3> to the west southwest (WSW). If you could walk a straight line from Boian to Edmonton, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,702 miles [2,739.1 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 67 days and walking would take 97 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,201 miles [9,979.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,968 miles [11,213.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,048 miles [8,124 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Boian. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Boian) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Boian. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BoianOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Boian. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.8314, Longitude: -112.0099 |
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Boian to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.617 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 333.417 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.109 degrees.||