Our Genealogy Helper for Blackfalds ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Blackfalds (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Blackfalds. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Blackfalds:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Blackfalds ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Blackfalds.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Blackfalds covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Blackfalds Cemetery
- Woody Nook Christian Reformed Church Cemetery
- Mt. Calvary RC Cemetery
- Aspelund Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Aspelund Cemetery
- The Aspelund Cemetery is located 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Red Deer.To be precise, Aspelund Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km] to the west of Blackfalds.
- Aspelund Cemetery has also been known as:
- Aspeland Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aspelund Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2500225<1>
- Red Deer Cemetery
- Fairview Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Fairview Cemetery
- Fairview Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the northeast of Blackfalds.
- Fairview Cemetery has also been known as:
- Lacombe Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fairview Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2239693<1>
- Continue List ...
- Alto Reste Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Alto Reste Cemetery
- The Alto Reste Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the east of Red Deer.More precisely, Alto Reste Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the southeast of Blackfalds.
- Alto Reste Cemetery has also been known as:
- Alto - Reste Memorial Gardens
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alto Reste Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2131209<1>
- Bentley Colony Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bentley Colony Cemetery
- The Bentley Colony Cemetery is located 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the northwest of Bentley.More precisely, Bentley Colony Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km] to the west of Blackfalds.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bentley Colony Cemetery
- Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
- The Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery is located 2 miles [3.2 km]<2> to the north of Bentley.More precisely, Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km] to the west of Blackfalds.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
- Bentley Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bentley Cemetery
- The Bentley Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the southeast of Bentley.Bentley Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the northwest of Blackfalds.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bentley Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2414665<1>
- Lakeview Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lakeview Cemetery
- Lakeview Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the southwest of Blackfalds.
- Lakeview Cemetery has also been known as:
- Lake View Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lakeview Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2379295<1>
- West Meadows Cemetery
- Horn Hill Cemetery
- Vig Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Vig Cemetery
- Vig Cemetery lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the west of Blackfalds.
- Vig Cemetery has also been known as:
- Vig Lutheran Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vig Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2418719<1>
- Kuusamo Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Blackfalds. See our List of 1890's Communities around Blackfalds.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions for Blackfalds ...
While our initial data about Blackfalds came from various goverment sources, we have found mention of Blackfalds in old books and maps. When we do, we'll find a fact here or a snippet there. We've created the following list to keep track of the documents we found useful in adding to our knowledge about Blackfalds.
We hope that the following list of documents will be of interest to you.
SPV's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas of North America - Western Canada
(Available from Amazon.com)
Written by: Walker, Mike
Published by Steam Powered Video (SPV), 2006
Shell Oil Road Map for Southern Alberta (1951)
Published by Shell Oil Company
for Blackfalds. See our Misc Page for Blackfalds for more information.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Blackfalds: www.blackfalds.com/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Blackfalds) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Blackfalds. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BlackfaldsOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Blackfalds. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.3833, Longitude: -113.8000 |