Communities Also Named Bankhead ...
We found three communities that share the name Bankhead.
Within Alberta, the name Bankhead is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- DeKalb County
- This Bankhead is located in DeKalb County and lies 1,881 miles [3,027.2 km]<1> to the east southeast.
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Bankhead
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the DeKalb County community of Bankhead.
- Walker County
- This Bankhead is located in Walker County and lies 1,854 miles [2,983.7 km] to the east southeast.
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Bankhead
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Walker County community of Bankhead.
- Jefferson County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Arkansas community of Bankhead [Jefferson County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Bankhead ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Anthracite ‑ Historic
(2 miles [3.2 km] to the southeast)
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Anthracite. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Anthracite
- Castle Mountain
(17 miles [27.4 km] to the west)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Castle Mountain came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Castle Mountain
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Castle Mountain
- Dead Man's Flats
(17 miles [27.4 km] to the southeast)
- Eisenhower Junction
(17 miles [27.4 km] to the west)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Eisenhower Junction came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eisenhower Junction
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Eisenhower Junction
- Georgetown ‑ Historic
(10 miles [16.1 km] to the southeast)
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Georgetown. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Georgetown
- Ghost Lake
(32 miles [51.5 km] to the east)
- Lake Louise
(31 miles [49.9 km] to the northwest)
How Far From Bankhead to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Bankhead to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<6> community of Bankhead once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Bankhead and extending to:
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 181 miles [291.3 km]<1> to the north northeast (NNE). If you could drive a straight line from Bankhead to Edmonton, with an average speed<7>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 11 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,847 miles [2,972.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 73 days and walking would take 105 days.
- The shortest distance<8> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,427 miles [10,343.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,193 miles [11,576 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<10>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,280 miles [8,497.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<11>
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Bankhead) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Bankhead. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BankheadOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Bankhead. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.2304, Longitude: -115.5242 |
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Bankhead could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Bankhead, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<7>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<8>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Bankhead to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.427 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 336.393 degrees.|
|<11>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.884 degrees.||