Curious and Interesting Names Near Avenir ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Beaver Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beaver Lake
- Beaver Lake lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the southeast of Avenir
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beaver Lake
- Blue Jay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blue Jay
- Blue Jay lies 14 miles [22.5 km] to the southwest of Avenir
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blue Jay
- Calling River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Calling River
- Calling River lies 24 miles [38.6 km] to the west of Avenir
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Calling River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grassland
- Grassland lies 22 miles [35.4 km] to the southwest of Avenir
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grassland
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Imperial Mills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Imperial Mills
- Imperial Mills lies 21 miles [33.8 km] to the east of Avenir
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Imperial Mills
- Owl River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Owl River
- Owl River lies 18 miles [29 km] to the southeast of Avenir
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Owl River
- Spruce Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spruce Valley
- Spruce Valley lies 23 miles [37 km] to the southwest of Avenir
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spruce Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tweedie
- Tweedie lies 22 miles [35.4 km] to the southeast of Avenir
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tweedie
- Wandering River
How Far From Avenir to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Avenir to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Avenir and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 113 miles [181.9 km] to the south southwest (SSW). If you could drive a straight line from Avenir to Edmonton, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 7 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 5 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,722 miles [2,771.3 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 68 days and walking would take 98 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,132 miles [9,868.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,898 miles [11,101.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,991 miles [8,032.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Avenir. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Avenir) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Avenir. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.0378, Longitude: -112.2797
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Avenir to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.828 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 333.761 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.05 degrees.||