Curious and Interesting Names Near Atikameg ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Driftpile came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Driftpile
- Driftpile lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<2> to the south of Atikameg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Driftpile
- Gift Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gift Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gift Lake
- Gift Lake lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the southwest of Atikameg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gift Lake
- Heart River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Heart River came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heart River
- Heart River lies 40 miles [64.4 km]<2> to the southwest of Atikameg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heart River
- Salt Prairie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Salt Prairie came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Salt Prairie
- Salt Prairie lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the southwest of Atikameg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Salt Prairie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Widewater came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Widewater
- Widewater lies 46 miles [74 km]<2> to the southeast of Atikameg
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Widewater
How Far From Atikameg to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Atikameg to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Atikameg and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 184 miles [296.1 km]<2> to the south southeast (SSE). If you could drive a straight line from Atikameg to Edmonton, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 11 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,860 miles [2,993.4 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 73 days and walking would take 106 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,135 miles [9,873.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,898 miles [11,101.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,026 miles [8,088.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Atikameg. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Atikameg) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Atikameg. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Atikameg
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Atikameg. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.9167, Longitude: -115.6500
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Atikameg to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.562 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 336.905 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.186 degrees.||