Our Genealogy Helper for Amisk ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Amisk (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Amisk. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Amisk:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Amisk ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Amisk.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Amisk covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Bethany Lutheran Cemetery
- Amisk Park Luteran Cemetery
- Lakeview Cemetery
- Brown Family Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Brown Family Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Brown Family Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Brown Family Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the south of Amisk.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brown Family Cemetery
- Czar Lutheran Cemetery
- High Mound Cemetery
- Sardis Lutheran Cemetery
- Fairfield Cemetery
- Wainwright Cemetery
- Wainwright Public Cemetery
- Setting Sun Cemetery
- Lougheed Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lougheed Cemetery
- The Lougheed Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the south of Lougheed.Stated another way, Lougheed Cemetery lies 23 miles [37 km]<3> to the northwest of Amisk.
- Lougheed Cemetery has also been known as:
- Lougheed Village Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lougheed Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #1968319<1>
- Continue List (29 more) ...
- Irma Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Irma Cemetery
- Irma Cemetery lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<3> to the north of Amisk.
- Irma Cemetery has also been known as:
- Irma Town Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Irma Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2371844<1>
- Merna United Church Cemetery
- Edgerton Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Amisk. See our List of 1890's Communities around Amisk.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Amisk
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Amisk: www.amisk.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Amisk) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Amisk. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AmiskOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Amisk. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.5647, Longitude: -111.0566 |