Our Genealogy Helper for Altorado ...
So far, we have found very little information about Altorado. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Altorado to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Altorado, please Contact Us.
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Altorado (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Altorado. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Altorado:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Altorado ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Altorado.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Altorado covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Foremost Cemetery
- Nemiskam Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Nemiskam Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Nemiskam Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Nemiskam Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the east of Altorado.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nemiskam Cemetery
- St. Joseph's Cemetery
- Fertile Plains Cemetery
- Prairie Round Cemetery
- Assumption Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Assumption Cemetery
- The Assumption Cemetery is located 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the northwest of Grassy Lake.Stated another way, Assumption Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km] to the northwest of Altorado.
- Assumption Cemetery has also been known as:
- Assumption Catholic Cemetery
- Assumption RC Cemetery
- Grassy Lake Catholic Cemetery
- Grassy Lake Praire View Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Assumption Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2214187<2>
- Westview Cemetery of Grassy Lake
- St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery
- The St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery is located 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the south of Etzikom.To be more accurate, St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km] to the northeast of Altorado.
- St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Anthony RC Cemetery
- St. Anthony's Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2548158<2>
- Masinasin Cemetery
- Burdett Community Cemetery
- Bow Island Cemetery
- Grassy Lake Praire View Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Grassy Lake Praire View Cemetery
- Grassy Lake Praire View Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<4> to the northwest of Altorado.
- Grassy Lake Praire View Cemetery has also been known as:
- Prairie View Cemetery
- Prairieview Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grassy Lake Praire View Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2444907<2>
- Continue List (15 more) ...
- Bluegrass Hutterite Colony Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bluegrass Hutterite Colony Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Bluegrass Hutterite Colony Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Bluegrass Hutterite Colony Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<4> to the west of Altorado.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bluegrass Hutterite Colony Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2597601<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Altorado. See our List of 1890's Communities around Altorado.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Altorado, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Altorado) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Altorado. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AltoradoOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Altorado. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.4695, Longitude: -111.4303 |