Our Genealogy Helper
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Acme (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Acme. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Acme:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
Cemeteries Near Acme ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Acme.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Acme covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
The following cemeteries are listed based on their distance from Acme, with the one closest to Acme listed first.
- Acme Cemetery
(Less than 2 miles to the northwest)
- To give a relative sense of its location, the Acme Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the northwest of Acme.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Acme Cemetery
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Acme Cemetery
- Jump to Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2295690 <1>
- Zion United Cemetery
(8 miles [12.9 km] to the south)
- Swalwell Cemetery
(9 miles [14.5 km] to the northeast)
- Beisker Level Land Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery
(13 miles [20.9 km] to the southeast)
- Mt. Davis Cemetery
(13 miles [20.9 km] to the north)
- Three Hills Cemetery
(17 miles [27.4 km] to the northeast)
- Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery
(18 miles [29 km] to the northwest)
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- To give a relative sense of its location, the Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery is located 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Carstairs.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery
- Crossfield Cemetery
(21 miles [33.8 km] to the west)
- Sarcee Butte Cemetery
(23 miles [37 km] to the northeast)
- Meehan Cemetery
(24 miles [38.6 km] to the northeast)
- To give a relative sense of its location, the Meehan Cemetery is located outside and to the south of Trochu.
- The Meehan Cemetery has also been known as:
- Trochu Old Public Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Meehan Cemetery
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Meehan Cemetery
- Jump to Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2514217 <1>
- Airdrie Cemetery
(25 miles [40.2 km] to the southwest)
- Trochu Baptist Cemetery
(25 miles [40.2 km] to the northeast)
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Wimborne Cemetery
(25 miles [40.2 km] to the north)
- Mayton Cemetery
(26 miles [41.8 km] to the northwest)
- To give a relative sense of its location, the Mayton Cemetery is located outside and to the northwest of Torrington.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mayton Cemetery
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Mayton Cemetery
- Carstairs Cemetery
(26 miles [41.8 km] to the west)
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Acme. See our List of 1890's Communities around Acme.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Acme: www.acme.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Acme) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Acme. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AcmeOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Acme. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.4979, Longitude: -113.5113 |