Our Genealogy Helper for Acme ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Acme (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Acme. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
A Few Details for Acme ...
While it's still very early in our research, we have found that:
- The community of Acme was founded in 1909.
- It was incorporated as a village on July 7, 1910.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Acme:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Acme ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Acme.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Acme covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Acme Cemetery
- Zion United Cemetery
- Swalwell Cemetery
- Beisker Level Land Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Beisker Level Land Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery
- Beisker Level Land Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the southeast of Acme.
- Beisker Level Land Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery has also been known as:
- Rosebud Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beisker Level Land Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery
- Mt. Davis Cemetery
- Three Hills Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Three Hills Cemetery
- Three Hills Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> to the northeast of Acme.
- Three Hills Cemetery has also been known as:
- Three Hills Town Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Three Hills Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2233201<1>
- Continue List ...
- Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- The Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery is located 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the southwest of Carstairs.More accurately, Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km] to the northwest of Acme.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery
- Crossfield Cemetery
- Sarcee Butte Cemetery
- Meehan Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Meehan Cemetery
- The Meehan Cemetery is located outside and to the south of Trochu.To be more precise, Meehan Cemetery lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the northeast of Acme.
- Meehan Cemetery has also been known as:
- Trochu Old Public Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Meehan Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2514217<1>
- Airdrie Cemetery
- Trochu Baptist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Trochu Baptist Cemetery
- Trochu Baptist Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the northeast of Acme.
- Trochu Baptist Cemetery has also been known as:
- Trochu Public Cemetery
- Trochu Town Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Trochu Baptist Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2516820<1>
- Wimborne Cemetery
- Mayton Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mayton Cemetery
- The Mayton Cemetery is located outside and to the northwest of Torrington.Stated another way, Mayton Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the northwest of Acme.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mayton Cemetery
- Carstairs Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Acme. See our List of 1890's Communities around Acme.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions for Acme ...
While our initial data about Acme came from various goverment sources, we have found mention of Acme in old books and maps. When we do, we'll find a fact here or a snippet there. We've created the following list to keep track of the documents we found useful in adding to our knowledge about Acme.
We hope that the following list of documents will be of interest to you.
SPV's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas of North America - Western Canada
(Available from Amazon.com)
Written by: Walker, Mike
Published by Steam Powered Video (SPV), 2006
Shell Oil Road Map for Southern Alberta (1951)
Published by Shell Oil Company
for Acme. See our Misc Page for Acme for more information.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Acme: www.acme.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Acme) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Acme. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AcmeOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Acme. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.4979, Longitude: -113.5113 |
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|