Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Sibylee, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Sibylee and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Sibylee:
- 42.081359, -104.950250
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Sibylee
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Sibylee ...
We have found one communities that share the name Sibylee.
There is one other community in Wyoming which is also named Sibylee.
- Communities Located In Wyoming ...
- Albany County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Wyoming community of Sibylee [Albany County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Sibylee ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bordeaux [Platte County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bordeaux
- Bordeaux [Platte County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the southeast of Sibylee
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bordeaux have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bordeaux
- Chugcreek [Platte County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chugcreek
- Chugcreek [Platte County] lies 2 miles [3.2 km]<2> to the southeast of Sibylee
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chugcreek
- Crane [Platte County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crane
- Crane [Platte County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the northeast of Sibylee
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Crane have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crane
- Guernsey [Platte County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Guernsey
- Guernsey [Platte County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the northeast of Sibylee
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,143 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Guernsey
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Guernsey<4>
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Hartville [Platte County]
- Hightower [Platte County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hightower
- Hightower [Platte County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<2> to the southwest of Sibylee
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hightower have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hightower
- Rockeagle [Goshen County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rockeagle
- Rockeagle [Goshen County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the east of Sibylee
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rockeagle have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rockeagle
- Sunrise [Platte County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunrise
- Sunrise [Platte County] was located 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the northeast of Sibylee
- Wheatland [Platte County]
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Sibylee. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Warren G. 'Freckles' Brown (Rodeo cowboy)
- Rodeo cowboy. He was born in Wheatland (Wyoming) on Tueday January 18, 1921 and died in Soper (Oklahoma) on Friday March 20, 1987 at the age of 66.
- Wheatland is located Less than 2 miles to the south of Sibylee.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Warren G. 'Freckles' Brown<5>
How Far From Sibylee to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Sibylee to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Sibylee and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Wheatland, which is the Seat of Platte County and lies just to the South Southwest.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 65 miles [104.6 km]<2> to the south (S). If you could walk a straight line from Sibylee to Cheyenne, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,475 miles [2,373.8 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 58 days and walking would take 84 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,737 miles [10,842.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,501 miles [12,071.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,444 miles [8,761.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Wyoming
About Platte County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Sibylee. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Sibylee could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Sibylee) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Sibylee. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.0814, Longitude: -104.9503 In this case, the coordinates for Sibylee have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Sibylee to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 326.695 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 325.483 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 317.664 degrees.||