Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Riner, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Riner and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Riner:
- 41.735333, -107.552165
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Riner
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Sweetwater County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Sweetwater County
- Since Riner is near Carbon County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Carbon County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Riner ...
We have found two communities that share the name Riner.
There is one other community in Wyoming which is also named Riner.
Beyond Wyoming, there is another community also named Riner in the United States.
- Communities Located In Wyoming ...
- Carbon County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Wyoming community of Riner [Carbon County].
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Montgomery County
- This Riner is located in Montgomery County and lies 1,475 miles [2,373.8 km]<2> to the east of the Riner that is located in Sweetwater County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Riner
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Montgomery County community of Riner.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Riner ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Cherokee [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cherokee
- Cherokee [Sweetwater County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the west of Riner
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cherokee have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cherokee
- Dad [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dad
- Dad [Carbon County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the south of Riner
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dad have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dad
- Red Desert [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Red Desert
- Red Desert [Sweetwater County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> to the west of Riner
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Red Desert have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Red Desert
How Far From Riner to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Riner to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Riner and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Green River, which is the Seat of Sweetwater County and lies 100 miles [160.9 km]<2> to the west. If you could drive a straight line from Riner to Green River, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 6 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take three full days.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 147 miles [236.6 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take less than three hours, a buggy would take 6 days and walking would take 9 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,610 miles [2,591 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 63 days and walking would take 92 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,828 miles [10,988.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,595 miles [12,223 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,551 miles [8,933.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Wyoming
About Sweetwater County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Riner. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Sweetwater County: www.co.sweet.wy.us/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Riner could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Riner) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Riner. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from RinerOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Riner. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.7353, Longitude: -107.5522 In this case, the coordinates for Riner have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Riner to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 328.643 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 327.721 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.179 degrees.||