Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Nickelson Place, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Nickelson Place and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Nickelson Place:
- 43.536068, -108.053705
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Nickelson Place
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Nickelson Place ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Hamilton Dome [Hot Springs County]
- Kirby [Hot Springs County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kirby
- Kirby [Hot Springs County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the north of Nickelson Place
- Population from the 2020 Census: 84 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kirby
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Kirby<2>
- Lost Cabin [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lost Cabin
- Lost Cabin [Fremont County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the southeast of Nickelson Place
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lost Cabin have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lost Cabin
- McNutt [Washakie County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for McNutt
- McNutt [Washakie County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the north of Nickelson Place
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for McNutt. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McNutt
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Owl Creek [Hot Springs County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Owl Creek
- Owl Creek [Hot Springs County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the northwest of Nickelson Place
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Owl Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Owl Creek
- Pavillion [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pavillion
- Pavillion [Fremont County] lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<1> to the southwest of Nickelson Place
- Population from the 2020 Census: 230 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pavillion
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Pavillion<2>
- Thermopolis [Hot Springs County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Thermopolis
- Thermopolis [Hot Springs County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the northwest of Nickelson Place
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,770 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Thermopolis
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Thermopolis<2>
How Far From Nickelson Place to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Nickelson Place to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Nickelson Place and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Thermopolis, which is the Seat of Hot Springs County and lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Nickelson Place to Thermopolis, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take a little over three hours.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 234 miles [376.6 km] to the southeast (SE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take nearly four hours, a buggy would take 10 days and walking would take 14 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,632 miles [2,626.4 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 64 days and walking would take 93 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,735 miles [10,838.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,503 miles [12,074.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,473 miles [8,807.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Wyoming
About Hot Springs County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Nickelson Place. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Hot Springs County: www.hscounty.com/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Nickelson Place) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Nickelson Place. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.5361, Longitude: -108.0537 In this case, the coordinates for Nickelson Place have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Nickelson Place to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 329.163 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 328.505 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.258 degrees.||