Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Medicine Bow, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Medicine Bow and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Medicine Bow:
- 41.900232, -106.202284
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Medicine Bow
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Carbon County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Carbon County
- Since Medicine Bow is near Albany County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Albany County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Medicine Bow ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Carbon [Carbon County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carbon
- Carbon [Carbon County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the west of Medicine Bow
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Carbon have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Elk Mountain [Carbon County]
- Elmo [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elmo
- Elmo [Carbon County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the west of Medicine Bow
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elmo have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elmo
- Harper [Albany County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Harper
- Harper [Albany County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southeast of Medicine Bow
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Harper have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Harper
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Oil Springs [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oil Springs
- Oil Springs [Carbon County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the northwest of Medicine Bow
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Oil Springs have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oil Springs
- Paradise [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paradise
- Paradise [Carbon County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the northwest of Medicine Bow
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Paradise have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paradise
- Rock Creek [Albany County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rock Creek
- Rock Creek [Albany County] was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the east of Medicine Bow
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rock Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Rock River [Albany County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rock River
- Rock River [Albany County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the southeast of Medicine Bow
- Population from the 2020 Census: 259 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rock River
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Rock River<3>
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Medicine Bow. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Judy Tyler (Actress)
- Actress. She was born in Milwaukee (Wisconsin) on Sunday October 9, 1932 and died in Rock River (Wyoming) on Wednesday July 3, 1957 at the age of 24. She is buried at Ferncliff Cemetery (Westchester County, New York).
- Rock River is located 15 miles [24.1 km] to the southeast of Medicine Bow.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Judy Tyler<4>
How Far From Medicine Bow to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Medicine Bow to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Medicine Bow and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Rawlins, which is the Seat of Carbon County and lies 53 miles [85.3 km]<1> to the west. If you could walk a straight line from Medicine Bow to Rawlins, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take over two days.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 89 miles [143.2 km] to the southeast (SE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 5 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,540 miles [2,478.4 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 61 days and walking would take 88 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,782 miles [10,914.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,547 miles [12,145.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,497 miles [8,846.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Wyoming
About Carbon County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Medicine Bow. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Medicine Bow) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Medicine Bow. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Medicine BowOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Medicine Bow. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.9002, Longitude: -106.2023 |
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Medicine Bow to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 327.627 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 326.551 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.393 degrees.||