Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in McCargar Place, we use the following websites to find information relevant to McCargar Place and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for McCargar Place:
- 42.201069, -107.132553
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on McCargar Place
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Carbon County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Carbon County
- Since McCargar Place is near Sweetwater County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Sweetwater County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near McCargar Place ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Ferris [Carbon County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ferris
- Ferris [Carbon County] was located 2 miles [3.2 km]<1> to the west of McCargar Place
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ferris have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Leo [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Leo
- Leo [Carbon County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the east of McCargar Place
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Leo have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Leo
- Marvin Place [Carbon County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marvin Place
- Marvin Place [Carbon County] was located 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the northwest of McCargar Place
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Marvin Place have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Muddy Gap [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Muddy Gap
- Muddy Gap [Carbon County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the northwest of McCargar Place
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Muddy Gap have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Muddy Gap
- Three Forks [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Three Forks
- Three Forks [Carbon County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the northwest of McCargar Place
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Three Forks have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Three Forks
How Far From McCargar Place to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as McCargar Place to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in McCargar Place and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Rawlins, which is the Seat of Carbon County and lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the south southwest. If you could walk a straight line from McCargar Place to Rawlins, with an average speed<3> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just over a day.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 140 miles [225.3 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than three hours, a buggy would take 6 days and walking would take 8 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,587 miles [2,554 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 62 days and walking would take 91 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,790 miles [10,927.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,556 miles [12,160.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,512 miles [8,870.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Wyoming
About Carbon County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for McCargar Place. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- McCargar Place) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in McCargar Place. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.2011, Longitude: -107.1326 In this case, the coordinates for McCargar Place have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from McCargar Place to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 328.359 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 327.436 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.886 degrees.||