Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Hiland, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Hiland and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Hiland:
- 43.115490, -107.349687
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Hiland
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Natrona County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Natrona County
- Since Hiland is near Fremont County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Fremont County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Hiland ...
We have found two communities that share the name Hiland.
Within Wyoming, the name Hiland is unique.
Beyond Wyoming, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Valley County
- This community is historic<1> and although located in Valley County, we don't know where within the county.
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Valley County community of Hiland.
- Washington County
- This community is historic<1> and although located in Washington County, we don't know where within the county.
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Washington County community of Hiland.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Hiland ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Badwater [Natrona County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Badwater
- Badwater [Natrona County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the north of Hiland
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Badwater have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Badwater
- Lost Cabin [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lost Cabin
- Lost Cabin [Fremont County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the northwest of Hiland
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lost Cabin have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lost Cabin
- Powder River [Natrona County]
- Sodium [Natrona County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sodium
- Sodium [Natrona County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the east of Hiland
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sodium have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sodium
How Far From Hiland to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Hiland to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Hiland and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Casper, which is the Seat of Natrona County and lies 54 miles [86.9 km]<2> to the east southeast. If you could walk a straight line from Hiland to Casper, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take over two days.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 188 miles [302.6 km] to the southeast (SE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take a little over three hours, a buggy would take 8 days and walking would take 11 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,597 miles [2,570.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 63 days and walking would take 91 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,742 miles [10,850.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,509 miles [12,084.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,472 miles [8,806.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Wyoming Community
About Natrona County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Hiland. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Natrona County: www.natrona.net/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Hiland, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Hiland) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Hiland. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from HilandOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hiland. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.1155, Longitude: -107.3497 |
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Hiland to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 328.592 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 327.799 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.901 degrees.||