Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Hartville, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Hartville and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Hartville:
- 42.327306, -104.726847
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Hartville
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Hartville ...
We have found four communities that share the name Hartville.
Within Wyoming, the name Hartville is unique.
Beyond Wyoming, we know of another four communities that are located throughout in the United States and Canada. Of these four communities, three are located in the United States and one is in Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Jefferson County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Kansas community of Hartville [Jefferson County].
- Wright County
- This Hartville is located in Wright County and lies 735 miles [1,182.9 km]<2> to the east southeast of the Hartville that is located in Platte County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hartville
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Wright County community of Hartville.
- Nova Scotia
- This Hartville lies 2,020 miles [3,250.9 km]<2> to the east northeast of the Hartville that is located in Platte County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hartville
- Stark County
- This Hartville is located in Stark County and lies 1,207 miles [1,942.5 km]<2> to the east of the Hartville that is located in Platte County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hartville
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Stark County community of Hartville.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Hartville ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Chugcreek [Platte County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chugcreek
- Chugcreek [Platte County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the southwest of Hartville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chugcreek
- Crane [Platte County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crane
- Crane [Platte County] lies less than 2 miles<2> to the south of Hartville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Crane have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crane
- Guernsey [Platte County]
- Jay Em [Goshen County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jay Em
- Jay Em [Goshen County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the northeast of Hartville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jay Em
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Meadowdale [Platte County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Meadowdale
- Meadowdale [Platte County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the north of Hartville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Meadowdale have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Meadowdale
- Rockeagle [Goshen County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rockeagle
- Rockeagle [Goshen County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the south of Hartville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rockeagle have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rockeagle
- Sunrise [Platte County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunrise
- Sunrise [Platte County] was located less than 2 miles<2> to the east of Hartville
- Wheatland [Platte County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wheatland
- Wheatland [Platte County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the southwest of Hartville
- Population from the 2020 Census: 3,522 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wheatland
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Wheatland<4>
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Hartville. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Warren G. 'Freckles' Brown (Rodeo cowboy)
- Rodeo cowboy. He was born in Wheatland (Wyoming) on Tueday January 18, 1921 and died in Soper (Oklahoma) on Friday March 20, 1987 at the age of 66.
- Wheatland is located 22 miles [35.4 km] to the southwest of Hartville.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Warren G. 'Freckles' Brown<5>
How Far From Hartville to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Hartville to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Hartville and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Wheatland, which is the Seat of Platte County and lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the south southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Hartville to Wheatland, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of a day.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 82 miles [132 km] to the south (S). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 5 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,463 miles [2,354.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 58 days and walking would take 84 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,716 miles [10,808.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,481 miles [12,039.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,424 miles [8,729.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Wyoming
About Platte County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Hartville. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Hartville could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Hartville) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Hartville. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from HartvilleOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hartville. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.3273, Longitude: -104.7268 |
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Hartville to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 326.544 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 325.334 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 317.506 degrees.||