Around Fort Steele ...
The largest community within a 50 mile [80 km] radius is Rawlins. It is located about 15 miles [24 km] to the west of where Fort Steele would have been located. Rawlins has a population of 8,500 people.<1>.
The next largest community is Saratoga.
It is located about 23 miles [ km] to the south of Fort Steele and has a population of 1,600 people.
The following is a sample of nearby communities: Keep in mind that when we give a distance, it's a 'straight-line' distance starting from Fort Steele.<2>
- Elk Mountain [Carbon County]
- Encampment [Carbon County]
- Grand Encampment [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grand Encampment
- Grand Encampment [Carbon County] lies 40 miles [64.4 km]<2> to the south of Fort Steele
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grand Encampment came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grand Encampment
- Hanna [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hanna
- Hanna [Carbon County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the east of Fort Steele
- Population from the 2020 Census: 757 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hanna
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Hanna<3>
- Medicine Bow [Carbon County]
- Rawlins [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rawlins
- Rawlins [Carbon County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the west of Fort Steele
- Population from the 2020 Census: 8,484 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rawlins
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Rawlins<3>
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Riverside [Carbon County]
- Saratoga [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saratoga
- Saratoga [Carbon County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the south of Fort Steele
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,599 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saratoga
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Saratoga<3>
- Sinclair [Carbon County]
- Walcott [Carbon County]
For more communities neighboring Fort Steele, please visit our County-by-County Page for Fort Steele.
Carbon County ...
Fort Steele would have been located within present day Carbon County<5>.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Carbon County: Jackson (CO), Moffat (CO), Routt (CO), Albany, Converse, Fremont, Natrona & Sweetwater.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Fort Steele ...
It seems like there is always a nearby community with a name that seems interesting, maybe familiar or just catches our attention in some other way. We've collected some names which strike us as being curious or interesting. Our list can be found on the Tidbits & Trivia Page for Fort Steele.
Airports Near Fort Steele ...
When a trip includes a flight, we try to find an airport that best fits our travel plans.<6> To that purpose, we've assembled a list of that are relatively close to Fort Steele and that information can be found on the Airports Page for Fort Steele.
Websites We Enjoy ...
When we're planning a trip, we like to check the following websites for sights, attractions and places to visit.
- For the State of Wyoming:
- TripAdvisor Links for:
- Also of Interest:
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Wyoming
About Carbon County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Fort Steele.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Fort Steele) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Fort Steele. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Fort SteeleOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fort Steele. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.7784, Longitude: -106.9468 |
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||If you're interested in how the shape of Wyoming's counties, including Carbon, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<6>||When we are planning a trip (for example, to Fort Steele), we usually look for the obvious: the choice of airlines that fly into the airport, the number of flights, the connections we have to make, which car rentals are available, etc. We also look for sights and attractions that we might find between any given airport and our destination - we do love exploring. We're willing to fly into a more distant airport if we can get the services and amenities that we like. Even though our choice of airport might be inconvenient to others, it usually gives us a better trip.|