Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Fort LaClede, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Fort LaClede and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Fort LaClede:
- 41.415240, -108.389267
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Fort LaClede
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Sweetwater County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Sweetwater County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Fort LaClede ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bitter Creek [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bitter Creek
- Bitter Creek [Sweetwater County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the northwest of Fort LaClede
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bitter Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bitter Creek
- Hallville [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hallville
- Hallville [Sweetwater County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Fort LaClede
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hallville have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hallville
- Lower Shell Creek Crossing [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lower Shell Creek Crossing
- Lower Shell Creek Crossing [Sweetwater County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the south of Fort LaClede
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lower Shell Creek Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lower Shell Creek Crossing
- Red Desert [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Red Desert
- Red Desert [Sweetwater County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the northeast of Fort LaClede
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Red Desert have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Red Desert
- Superior [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Superior
- Superior [Sweetwater County] lies 38 miles [61.2 km]<1> to the northwest of Fort LaClede
- Population from the 2020 Census: 312 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Superior
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Superior<3>
- Table Rock [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Table Rock
- Table Rock [Sweetwater County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the north of Fort LaClede
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Table Rock
How Far From Fort LaClede to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Fort LaClede to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<4> community of Fort LaClede once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Fort LaClede and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Green River, which is the Seat of Sweetwater County and lies 56 miles [90.1 km]<1> to the west. If you could walk a straight line from Fort LaClede to Green River, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take over two days.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 186 miles [299.3 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take a little over three hours, a buggy would take 8 days and walking would take 11 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,654 miles [2,661.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 65 days and walking would take 94 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,869 miles [11,054.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,636 miles [12,289 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,596 miles [9,005.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Wyoming
About Sweetwater County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Sweetwater County: www.co.sweet.wy.us/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Fort LaClede) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fort LaClede. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.4152, Longitude: -108.3893 In this case, the coordinates for Fort LaClede have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Fort LaClede, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Fort LaClede to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 329.258 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 328.411 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.691 degrees.||