Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Dead Woman Crossing, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Dead Woman Crossing and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Dead Woman Crossing:
- 43.536917, -106.322805
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Dead Woman Crossing
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Dead Woman Crossing ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Camel Hump [Natrona County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Camel Hump
- Camel Hump [Natrona County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southwest of Dead Woman Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Camel Hump have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Camel Hump
- Hole in the Wall [Johnson County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hole in the Wall
- Hole in the Wall [Johnson County] was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the west of Dead Woman Crossing
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Hole in the Wall. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Salt Creek [Natrona County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Salt Creek
- Salt Creek [Natrona County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the south of Dead Woman Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Salt Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
How Far From Dead Woman Crossing to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Dead Woman Crossing to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Dead Woman Crossing and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Buffalo, which is the Seat of Johnson County and lies 59 miles [95 km]<1> to the north northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Dead Woman Crossing to Buffalo, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 182 miles [292.9 km] to the south southeast (SSE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take a little over three hours, a buggy would take 8 days and walking would take 11 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,546 miles [2,488 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 61 days and walking would take 88 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,690 miles [10,766.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,456 miles [11,999.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,416 miles [8,716.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Wyoming
About Johnson County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Dead Woman Crossing. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Johnson County: www.johnsoncountywyoming.org/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Dead Woman Crossing) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Dead Woman Crossing. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.5369, Longitude: -106.3228 In this case, the coordinates for Dead Woman Crossing have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Dead Woman Crossing to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 327.835 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 326.961 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.251 degrees.||