Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Calpet, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Calpet and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Calpet:
- 42.283830, -110.259052
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Calpet
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Sublette County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Sublette County
- Since Calpet is near Lincoln County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Lincoln County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Calpet ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Big Piney [Sublette County]
- Cokeville [Lincoln County]
- Diamondville [Lincoln County]
- Frontier [Lincoln County]
- Geneva [Bear Lake County]
- Opal [Lincoln County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Opal
- Opal [Lincoln County] lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<1> to the south of Calpet
- Population from the 2020 Census: 109 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Opal
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Opal<2>
How Far From Calpet to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Calpet to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Calpet and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Pinedale, which is the Seat of Sublette County and lies 45 miles [72.4 km]<1> to the north northeast. If you could walk a straight line from Calpet to Pinedale, with an average speed<3> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take about three full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of two days.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 291 miles [468.3 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take four to five hours, a buggy would take 12 days and walking would take 17 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,746 miles [2,809.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 69 days and walking would take 100 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,866 miles [11,049.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,634 miles [12,285.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,611 miles [9,030 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Wyoming
About Sublette County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Calpet. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Calpet) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Calpet. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CalpetOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Calpet. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.2838, Longitude: -110.2591 In this case, the coordinates for Calpet have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Calpet to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 330.779 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 330.275 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.686 degrees.||