Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Burris, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Burris and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Burris:
- 43.364124, -109.274859
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Burris
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Fremont County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Fremont County
- Since Burris is near Sublette County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Sublette County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Burris ...
We have found three communities that share the name Burris.
Within Wyoming, the name Burris is unique.
Beyond Wyoming, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Jackson County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Ohio community of Burris [Jackson County].
- South Carolina
- Anderson County
- This Burris is located in Anderson County and lies 1,558 miles [2,507.4 km]<2> to the east southeast of the Burris that is located in Fremont County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Burris
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Anderson County community of Burris.
- Lubbock County
- This Burris is located in Lubbock County and lies 790 miles [1,271.4 km]<2> to the south southeast of the Burris that is located in Fremont County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Burris
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Lubbock County community of Burris.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Burris ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Crowheart [Fremont County]
- Pavillion [Fremont County]
- Willow Creek [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Willow Creek
- Willow Creek [Fremont County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the southeast of Burris
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Willow Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Willow Creek
How Far From Burris to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Burris to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Burris and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Lander, which is the Seat of Fremont County and lies 45 miles [72.4 km]<2> to the southeast. If you could walk a straight line from Burris to Lander, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take about three full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of two days.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 275 miles [442.6 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take four to five hours, a buggy would take 11 days and walking would take 16 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,693 miles [2,724.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 67 days and walking would take 97 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,776 miles [10,904.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,544 miles [12,140.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,522 miles [8,886.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Wyoming
About Fremont County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Burris. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Fremont County: www.fremontcounty.org/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Burris could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Burris) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Burris. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.3641, Longitude: -109.2749 In this case, the coordinates for Burris have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Burris to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 330.096 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 329.575 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.995 degrees.||