Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Buffalo Ford, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Buffalo Ford and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Buffalo Ford:
- 44.924938, -110.377976
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Buffalo Ford
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Buffalo Ford ...
We have found two communities that share the name Buffalo Ford.
Within Wyoming, the name Buffalo Ford is unique.
Beyond Wyoming, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- North Carolina
- Randolph County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the North Carolina community of Buffalo Ford [Randolph County].
- Washington County
- This Buffalo Ford is located in Washington County and lies 1,567 miles [2,521.8 km]<2> to the east southeast of the Buffalo Ford that is located in Park County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Buffalo Ford
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Washington County community of Buffalo Ford.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Buffalo Ford ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Devils Den [Park County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Devils Den
- Devils Den [Park County] lies 2 miles [3.2 km]<2> to the south of Buffalo Ford
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Devils Den have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Devils Den
- Fossil Forest [Park County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fossil Forest
- Fossil Forest [Park County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the southeast of Buffalo Ford
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fossil Forest have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fossil Forest
- Independence [Park County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Independence
- Independence [Park County] was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the north of Buffalo Ford
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Independence have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Mammoth [Park County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mammoth
- Mammoth [Park County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the west of Buffalo Ford
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mammoth
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Silver Gate [Park County]
- Soda Butte [Park County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Soda Butte
- Soda Butte [Park County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the east of Buffalo Ford
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Soda Butte have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Tower Junction [Park County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tower Junction
- Tower Junction [Park County] lies less than 2 miles<2> to the west of Buffalo Ford
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Tower Junction have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tower Junction
- Yanceys [Park County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Yanceys
- Yanceys [Park County] lies 2 miles [3.2 km]<2> to the west of Buffalo Ford
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Yanceys have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yanceys
How Far From Buffalo Ford to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Buffalo Ford to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Buffalo Ford and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Cody, which is the Seat of Park County and lies 70 miles [112.7 km]<2> to the east southeast. If you could drive a straight line from Buffalo Ford to Cody, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take three full days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 383 miles [616.4 km] to the southeast (SE). Driving would take most of a day, a buggy would take 15 days and walking would take 22 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,749 miles [2,814.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 69 days and walking would take 100 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,709 miles [10,797.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,478 miles [12,034.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,474 miles [8,809.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Wyoming
About Park County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Buffalo Ford. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Park County: www.parkcounty.us/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Buffalo Ford could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Buffalo Ford) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Buffalo Ford. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.9249, Longitude: -110.3780 In this case, the coordinates for Buffalo Ford have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Buffalo Ford to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.06 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 330.841 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.469 degrees.||