Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Baggs, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Baggs and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Baggs:
- 41.036069, -107.657871
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Baggs
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Baggs ...
We have found one communities that share the name Baggs.
Within Wyoming, the name Baggs is unique.
Beyond Wyoming, there is another community also named Baggs in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- McIntosh County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Georgia community of Baggs [McIntosh County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Baggs ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Craig [Moffat County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Craig
- Craig [Moffat County] lies 36 miles [57.9 km]<2> to the south of Baggs
- Population from the 2020 Census: 8,953 people
- Former names for Craig:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Craig
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Craig<3>
- Dad [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dad
- Dad [Carbon County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the north of Baggs
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dad have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dad
How Far From Baggs to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Baggs to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Baggs and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Rawlins, which is the Seat of Carbon County and lies 56 miles [90.1 km]<2> to the north northeast. If you could walk a straight line from Baggs to Rawlins, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take over two days.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 148 miles [238.2 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than three hours, a buggy would take 6 days and walking would take 9 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,618 miles [2,603.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 64 days and walking would take 92 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,872 miles [11,059.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,638 miles [12,292.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,591 miles [8,997.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Wyoming
About Carbon County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Baggs. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Baggs could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Baggs) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Baggs. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BaggsOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Baggs. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.0361, Longitude: -107.6579 |
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Baggs to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 328.665 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 327.678 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.314 degrees.||