Welcome to El Centro ...
So far, we have found very little information about El Centro. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added El Centro to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with El Centro, please Contact Us.
El Centro would have been located within present day Mercer County<2>.
The location of El Centro has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
When the people of El Centro referred to themselves (known as a demonym), they are believed to have used El Centran<4>
While the community is gone, the present day location for El Centro is 2,440 feet [744 m] above sea level.<5> In other words, the altitude of El Centro is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where El Centro was located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
If El Centro still existed, it would have been in the (304) & (681)<6> area codes.
Communities Also Named El Centro ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 2 communities that are also named El Centro - they are located in California and Texas.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for El Centro.
Communities near El Centro ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near El Centro.
- Bluefield [Mercer County]
- Princeton [Mercer County]
- Bluefield [Tazewell County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bluefield
- Bluefield [Tazewell County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<7> to the southwest of El Centro
- Estimated population in 2019: 4,837 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bluefield
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bluefield<8>
- Narrows [Giles County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Narrows
- Narrows [Giles County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<7> to the east of El Centro
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,952 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Narrows have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Narrows
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Narrows<8>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Athens [Mercer County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Athens
- Athens [Mercer County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<7> to the northeast of El Centro
- Estimated population in 2019: 897 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Athens have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Athens
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Athens<8>
- Rich Creek [Giles County]
- Peterstown [Monroe County]
- Pocahontas [Tazewell County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pocahontas
- Pocahontas [Tazewell County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<7> to the west of El Centro
- Estimated population in 2019: 353 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pocahontas
- Bramwell [Mercer County]
- Northfork [McDowell County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Northfork
- Northfork [McDowell County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<7> to the northwest of El Centro
- Estimated population in 2019: 336 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Northfork have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Northfork
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Northfork<8>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around El Centro. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for El Centro.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of El Centro. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around El Centro.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around El Centro. See our Newspapers Page for El Centro.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in West Virginia
About Mercer County
About West Virginia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of West Virginia: https://www.wv.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about El Centro, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of West Virginia's counties, including Mercer, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of El Centro refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of El Centro may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<5>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around El Centro - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<6>||Area code (681) is an overlay for area code (304).|
|<7>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- El Centro) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for El Centro. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from El Centro
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in El Centro. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.3210, Longitude: -81.1368 In this case, the coordinates for El Centro have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<8>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|