Welcome to Astor ...
Astor is located in Taylor County<1>.
We aren't confident of the location of Astor, so consider the above location as an estimate.<2>
Astor is 1,090 feet [332 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: Astor lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
Area codes for Astor: (304) and (681)<4>
Communities Also Named Astor ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 6 communities that are also named Astor - they are located in Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Massachusetts and Nevada.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Astor.
Communities near Astor ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Astor.
- Fairmont [Marion County]
- Clarksburg [Harrison County]
- Bridgeport [Harrison County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bridgeport
- Bridgeport [Harrison County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the northwest of Astor
- Population from the 2020 Census: 8,782 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bridgeport have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bridgeport
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bridgeport<6>
- Buckhannon [Upshur County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Grafton [Taylor County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grafton
- Grafton [Taylor County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the northeast of Astor
- Population from the 2020 Census: 4,968 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grafton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Grafton<6>
- Philippi [Barbour County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Philippi
- Philippi [Barbour County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southeast of Astor
- Population from the 2020 Census: 3,239 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Philippi
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Philippi<6>
- Pleasant Valley [Marion County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pleasant Valley
- Pleasant Valley [Marion County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the north of Astor
- Population from the 2020 Census: 3,141 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pleasant Valley
- Shinnston [Harrison County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shinnston
- Shinnston [Harrison County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the northwest of Astor
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,096 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Shinnston have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shinnston
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Shinnston<6>
- Belington [Barbour County]
- Stonewood [Harrison County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Stonewood
- Stonewood [Harrison County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the west of Astor
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,702 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Stonewood have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Stonewood
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Astor. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Astor.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Astor. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Astor.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Astor. See our Newspapers Page for Astor.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Astor ...
Looking for more information about Astor? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Astor, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Astor.
Adding Astor to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Astor in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Astor was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Astor on a map titled Rand McNally Map of West Virginia (1911).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Astor on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in West Virginia
About Taylor County
About West Virginia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Astor. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of West Virginia: https://www.wv.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of West Virginia's counties, including Taylor, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Astor - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Area code (681) is an overlay for area code (304).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Astor) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Astor. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AstorOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Astor. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.2404, Longitude: -80.1413 In this case, the coordinates for Astor have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|