Welcome to Alton ...
Alton is located in Upshur County<1>.
We aren't confident of the location of Alton, so consider the above location as an estimate.<2>
When the people of Alton refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Altonian<3>
Alton is 1,780 feet [543 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: Alton lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
Area codes for Alton: (304) and (681)<5>
Communities Also Named Alton ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 37 communities that are also named Alton - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia (2), Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas (3), Kentucky, Louisiana (2), Maine, Michigan (2), Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nova Scotia, Ohio, Ontario (3), Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas (2), Utah and Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Alton.
Communities near Alton ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Alton.
- Buckhannon [Upshur County]
- Mill Creek [Randolph County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mill Creek
- Mill Creek [Randolph County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<6> to the southeast of Alton
- Population from the 2020 Census: 681 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mill Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mill Creek
- Beverly [Randolph County]
- Junior [Barbour County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Junior
- Junior [Barbour County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<6> to the northeast of Alton
- Population from the 2020 Census: 483 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Junior have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Junior
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Womelsdorf [Randolph County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Womelsdorf
- Womelsdorf [Randolph County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<6> to the east of Alton
- Population from the 2020 Census: 235 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Womelsdorf have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Womelsdorf
- Huttonsville [Randolph County]
- Queens [Upshur County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Queens
- Queens [Upshur County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<6> to the northeast of Alton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Queens
- Adrian [Upshur County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Adrian
- Adrian [Upshur County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the northwest of Alton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Adrian
- Hoover Town [Upshur County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hoover Town
- Hoover Town [Upshur County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the northwest of Alton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hoover Town have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hoover Town
- Rock Cave [Upshur County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rock Cave
- Rock Cave [Upshur County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the west of Alton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rock Cave
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Alton. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Alton.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Alton. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Alton.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Alton. See our Newspapers Page for Alton.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Alton ...
Looking for more information about Alton? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Alton, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Alton.
Adding Alton to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Alton in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Alton was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Alton on a map titled Rand McNally Map of West Virginia (1911).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Alton on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in West Virginia
About Upshur County
About West Virginia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Alton. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of West Virginia: https://www.wv.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of West Virginia's counties, including Upshur, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Alton refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Alton may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Alton - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Area code (681) is an overlay for area code (304).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Alton) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Alton. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AltonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alton. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.8196, Longitude: -80.2160 In this case, the coordinates for Alton have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|