Census Data for Birnamwood ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Birnamwood a population of 776 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Birnamwood a population of 818 people.
The village of Birnamwood is located in Shawano County. The 2010 Census gave Shawano County; a population of 41,949 people. This means that Birnamwood had 1.95% of the county's total population, making it Shawano's 19th most populous community.
At the same time, Wisconsin had a population of 5,686,986 people, meaning that Birnamwood had 0.01% of the total population of Wisconsin - making it the state's 1068th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Birnamwood has a total area of 2.21 square miles [5.7 km²].
Shawano County has a land area of 893 square miles [2,313 km²]. At 2.21 square miles [5.7 km²], Birnamwood has 0.25% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a village like Birnamwood, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the village.
- Things like population, area and housing for Birnamwood reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Birnamwood might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 44° 55' 54" (or 44.93°)
- Lon: -89° 12' 33" (or -89.21°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Birnamwood had 383 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 818 people, this averages 2.14 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Birnamwood had a land area of 2.21 square miles [5.7 km²]. This translates to 173.1 Housing Units per square mile [66.9 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Birnamwood had 328 Housing Units, a population of 795 people and a land area of 2.21 square miles [5.7 km²]. This gives a density of 2.42 people per Housing Unit and 148.7 Housing Units per square mile [57.4 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Birnamwood and you need to be careful when comparing values between the censuses. More information about the changes can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Shawano County ...
The community of Birnamwood is primarily located in Shawano County<4>. A portion of Birnamwood extends into Marathon County.
The county had a population of 41,949 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 818 people, Birnamwood represented 1.95% of the county's total.
In addition, where the village of Birnamwood has a population density of 369.8 people per square mile [142.8 people/km²], Shawano County averages 46.97 people per square mile [18.14 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Shawano County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Birnamwood, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Birnamwood. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Birnamwood or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Birnamwood, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Birnamwood.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 44.931785° (or 44°55'54" N)
- Lon: -89.209433° (or -89°12'33" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 44.931199° (or 44°55'52" N)
- Lon: -89.209643° (or -89°12'34" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 220.4 feet to the north<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#1582814) to Birnamwood. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Birnamwood. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 44.931082° (or 44°55'51" N)
- Lon: -89.208724° (or -89°12'31" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 314.9 feet to the northwest<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Birnamwood. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Birnamwood.
Miscellaneous Information for Birnamwood ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Shawano County or the village of Birnamwood:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Birnamwood:
- GNIS ID for Birnamwood: 1582814
- GNIS ID for Shawano County: 1581117
- GNIS ID for State of Wisconsin: 1779806
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Birnamwood is located in Census Region #2 (the Midwest Region) and Division #3 (the East North-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Birnamwood.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Wisconsin
About Shawano County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Birnamwood. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Shawano County: www.co.shawano.wi.us/
The official website for State of Wisconsin: https://www.wisconsin.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Wisconsin's counties, including Shawano, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 345 degrees and a distance of 220.4 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 35 degrees and a distance of 314.9 feet.|