Welcome to Hanover ...
Hanover is located in Hanover County<1> and is the County Seat for Hanover County.
When the people of Hanover refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Hanoverian<2>
Hanover is 110 feet [34 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: Hanover lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
Hanover lies within the (804) area code.
The ZIP code for Hanover: 23069<4>
Adding Hanover to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Hanover in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Hanover was on a map titled Rand McNally Map (1911).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Hanover on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Hanover ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 39 communities that are also named Hanover - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas (2), Colorado, Connecticut (2), Georgia (2), Illinois, Indiana, Iowa (2), Kansas (2), Maine, Maryland (2), Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey (2), New Mexico, New York, Ohio (4), Ontario, Pennsylvania (3), South Carolina, Texas, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Hanover.
Communities near Hanover ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Hanover.
- Richmond [Richmond City]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richmond
- Richmond [Richmond City] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the south of Hanover
- Population from the 2020 Census: 232,226 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Richmond
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Richmond<6>
- Ashland [Hanover County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ashland
- Ashland [Hanover County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the west of Hanover
- Population from the 2020 Census: 7,908 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ashland have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ashland
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Ashland<6>
- Bowling Green [Caroline County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bowling Green
- Bowling Green [Caroline County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the north of Hanover
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,182 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bowling Green have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bowling Green
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bowling Green<6>
- Taylorsville [Hanover County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Taylorsville
- Taylorsville [Hanover County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the northwest of Hanover
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Taylorsville
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Tuck Fork [King William County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tuck Fork
- Tuck Fork [King William County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the northeast of Hanover
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tuck Fork
- Hunton [Henrico County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hunton
- Hunton [Henrico County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southwest of Hanover
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hunton
- Burruss Corner [Caroline County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Burruss Corner
- Burruss Corner [Caroline County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the north of Hanover
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Burruss Corner
- Longdale [Henrico County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Longdale
- Longdale [Henrico County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the southwest of Hanover
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Longdale
- Quail Walk [Henrico County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Quail Walk
- Quail Walk [Henrico County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the southwest of Hanover
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Quail Walk
- Chamberlayne [Henrico County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chamberlayne
- Chamberlayne [Henrico County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the south of Hanover
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chamberlayne
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Hanover. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Hanover.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Hanover. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Hanover.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Hanover. See our Newspapers Page for Hanover.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Hanover ...
Looking for more information about Hanover? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Hanover, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Hanover.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Virginia
About Hanover County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Hanover. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Hanover County: www.co.hanover.va.us/
The official website for State of Virginia: https://www.virginia.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Virginia's counties, including Hanover, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Hanover refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Hanover may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Hanover - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Hanover). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Hanover or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Hanover) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Hanover. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from HanoverOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hanover. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.7661, Longitude: -77.3700 |
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|