Welcome to Fries ...
The town of Fries is located in Grayson County<1>.
From the Census Estimates for 2018, Fries has a population of 450 people<2> (see below for details).
Fries is 2,140 feet [652 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the altitude of Fries is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: Fries lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
The area code for Fries: (276)
The ZIP code for Fries: 24330<4>
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2018 Census Estimates, Fries had an population of 450 people. This is a decrease of 7.02% since the 2010 Census (or a decrease of 26.71% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Fries had a population of 484 people. This makes Fries the county's 2nd most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 484 people, the population of Fries decreased 21.17% from the 2000 Census (with a count of 614 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Fries.
Communities near Fries ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Fries.
- Wytheville [Wythe County]
- Galax [Galax City]
- Hillsville [Carroll County]
- Sparta [Alleghany County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sparta have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sparta
- Sparta [Alleghany County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Fries
- Estimated population in 2018: 1,759 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sparta
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sparta<6>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Independence [Grayson County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Independence have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Independence
- Independence [Grayson County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Fries
- Estimated population in 2018: 901 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Independence
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Independence<6>
- Oak Grove [Carroll County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oak Grove
- Oak Grove [Carroll County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the northeast of Fries
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oak Grove
- Baywood [Grayson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Baywood
- Baywood [Grayson County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the south of Fries
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Baywood
- Ivanhoe [Wythe County]
- Pipers Gap [Carroll County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pipers Gap
- Pipers Gap [Carroll County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southeast of Fries
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pipers Gap
- Sheep Town [Carroll County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sheep Town have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sheep Town
- Sheep Town [Carroll County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the northeast of Fries
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sheep Town
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Fries. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Fries.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Fries. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Fries.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Fries. See our Newspapers Page for Fries.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Fries ...
Looking for more information about Fries? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Fries, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Fries.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Virginia
About Grayson County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Fries. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Virginia: https://www.virginia.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Virginia's counties, including Grayson, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Fries.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Fries - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a town (such as Fries). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Fries or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Fries) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Fries. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Fries
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fries. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 36.7152, Longitude: -80.9740
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|