Welcome to Alka ...
So far, we have found very little information about Alka. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Alka to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Alka, please Contact Us.
Alka would have been located within present day Dickenson County<2>.
The location of Alka has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Alka is 1,790 feet [546 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: The area where Alka was located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
Alka would have been located in the (276) area code.
Communities near Alka ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Alka.
- Big Stone Gap [Wise County]
- Norton [Norton City]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Norton
- Norton [Norton City] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the southwest of Alka
- Population from the 2020 Census: 3,985 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Norton have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Norton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Norton<6>
- Wise [Wise County]
- Jenkins [Letcher County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jenkins
- Jenkins [Letcher County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the northwest of Alka
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,895 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jenkins
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Jenkins<6>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Coeburn [Wise County]
- Appalachia [Wise County]
- Clintwood [Dickenson County]
- Pound [Wise County]
- Elkhorn City [Pike County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elkhorn City
- Elkhorn City [Pike County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the north of Alka
- Population from the 2020 Census: 874 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elkhorn City have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elkhorn City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Elkhorn City<6>
- Saint Paul [Russell County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saint Paul
- Saint Paul [Russell County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the southeast of Alka
- Population from the 2020 Census: 847 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Saint Paul have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saint Paul
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Saint Paul<6>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Alka. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Alka.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Alka. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Alka.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Alka. See our Newspapers Page for Alka.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Virginia
About Dickenson County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Dickenson County: www.dickensonctyva.com/
The official website for State of Virginia: https://www.virginia.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Alka, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Virginia's counties, including Dickenson, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Alka - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Alka) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alka. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.0312, Longitude: -82.4740 In this case, the coordinates for Alka have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|