Welcome to Wattis ...
So far, we have found very little information about Wattis. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Wattis to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Wattis, please Contact Us.
Wattis would have been located within present day Carbon County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Wattis, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Wattis is 7,450 feet [2,271 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Wattis is about 1½ mile [or ~2¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Wattis was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
If Wattis still existed, it would have been in the (435) area code.
Communities near Wattis ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Wattis.
- Price [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Price
- Price [Carbon County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the northeast of Wattis
- Population from the 2020 Census: 8,427 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Price have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Price
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Price<7>
- Helper [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Helper
- Helper [Carbon County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the northeast of Wattis
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,141 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Helper
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Helper<7>
- Huntington [Emery County]
- Wellington [Carbon County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Cleveland [Emery County]
- Elmo [Emery County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elmo
- Elmo [Emery County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the southeast of Wattis
- Population from the 2020 Census: 410 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elmo have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elmo
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Elmo<7>
- Hiawatha [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hiawatha
- Hiawatha [Carbon County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<5> to the south of Wattis
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hiawatha
- Scofield [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Scofield
- Scofield [Carbon County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the northwest of Wattis
- Population from the 2020 Census: 23 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Scofield
- Mohrland [Emery County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mohrland
- Mohrland [Emery County] was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the south of Wattis
- Coal City [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coal City
- Coal City [Carbon County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the north of Wattis
- Former names for Coal City:
- Cedar Mesa Ranch
- Dempsey City
- Great Western
- Oak Springs Bench
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coal City
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Wattis. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Wattis.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Wattis. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Wattis.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Wattis. See our Newspapers Page for Wattis.
Adding Wattis to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Wattis in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Wattis was on a map titled Road Map for Utah (from Shell Oil, 1950).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Wattis on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Utah
About Carbon County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Carbon County: www.carboncountyutah.com/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Wattis, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Carbon, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Wattis - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Wattis) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Wattis. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from WattisOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Wattis. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.5298, Longitude: -111.0180 In this case, the coordinates for Wattis have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|