Census Data for Hooper ...
The last Decennial Census<1> was in 2010, which gave Hooper a population of 7,218 people.
The city of Hooper is located in Weber County. The 2010 Census gave Weber County; a population of 231,236 people. This means that Hooper had 3.12% of the county's total population, making it Weber's 9th most populous community.
At the same time, Utah had a population of 2,763,885 people, meaning that Hooper had 0.26% of the total population of Utah - making it the state's 68th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Hooper has a total area of 89.5 square miles [231.8 km²]. Of this total, 26.88 square miles [69.6 km²] is land, with the balance (70%) being water (62.6 square miles [162.1 km²]).
Weber County has a land area of 576 square miles [1,492.1 km²]. At 26.88 square miles [69.6 km²], Hooper has 4.67% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a city like Hooper, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the city.
- Things like population, area and housing for Hooper reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Hooper might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 41° 9' 52" (or 41.16°)
- Lon: -112° 20' 43" (or -112.35°)
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Hooper had 2,156 Housing Units<2> and with its population of 7,218 people, this averages 3.35 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Hooper had a land area of 26.88 square miles [69.6 km²]. This translates to 24.09 Housing Units per square mile [9.3 housing units/km²].
Weber County ...
The community of Hooper is located in Weber County<3>.
The county had a population of 231,236 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 7,218 people, Hooper represented 3.12% of the county's total.
In addition, where the city of Hooper has a population density of 80.7 people per square mile [31.14 people/km²], Weber County averages 401.4 people per square mile [155 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Weber County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Hooper, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Hooper. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Hooper or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Hooper, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Hooper.
Miscellaneous Information for Hooper ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Weber County or the city of Hooper:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Hooper:
- GNIS ID for Hooper: 2410790
- GNIS ID for Weber County: 1448042
- GNIS ID for State of Utah: 1455989
- The FIPS Codes ...
- An earlier (and largely obsolete) identification method was called the Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS):
- State Code: 49 (Utah)
- County Code: 057 (Weber County)
- Place Code: 36400 (Hooper)
- State & County Code: 49/057 (Utah / Weber County)
- State & Place Code: 49/36400 (Utah / Hooper)
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Hooper is located in Census Region #4 (the West Region) and Division #8 (the Mountain Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a city like Hooper, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Hooper. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Hooper:84315<5>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Hooper.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Utah
About Weber County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Hooper: www.hoopercity.com/
The official website for Weber County: www.co.weber.ut.us/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<2>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<3>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Weber, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 85 degrees and a distance of 3 miles.|
|<5>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Hooper or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|