Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Callao, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Callao and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Callao:
- 39.897881, -113.714072
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Callao
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Callao ...
We have found three communities that share the name Callao.
Within Utah, the name Callao is unique.
Beyond Utah, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Washington County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Mississippi community of Callao [Washington County].
- Macon County
- This Callao is located in Macon County and lies 1,115 miles [1,794.4 km]<2> to the east of the Callao that is located in Juab County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Callao
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Macon County community of Callao.
- Northumberland County
- This Callao is located in Northumberland County and lies 1,985 miles [3,194.5 km]<2> to the east of the Callao that is located in Juab County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Callao
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Northumberland County community of Callao.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Callao ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Fish Springs [Juab County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fish Springs
- Fish Springs [Juab County] was located 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the east of Callao
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Fish Springs. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Gold Hill [Tooele County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gold Hill
- Gold Hill [Tooele County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the north of Callao
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gold Hill have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gold Hill
- Goshute [Juab County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Goshute
- Goshute [Juab County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the west of Callao
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Goshute
- Trout Creek [Juab County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Trout Creek
- Trout Creek [Juab County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the south of Callao
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Trout Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Trout Creek
How Far From Callao to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Callao to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Callao and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Nephi, which is the Seat of Juab County and lies 100 miles [160.9 km]<2> to the east. If you could drive a straight line from Callao to Nephi, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 6 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take three full days.
- Salt Lake City, which is the State Capital of Utah, lies 112 miles [180.2 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take about two hours, a buggy would take 5 days and walking would take 7 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,944 miles [3,128.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 76 days and walking would take 111 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,095 miles [11,418.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,864 miles [12,655.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,852 miles [9,417.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Utah
About Juab County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Callao. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Juab County: www.co.juab.ut.us/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Callao could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Callao) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Callao. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Callao
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Callao. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.8979, Longitude: -113.7141 In this case, the coordinates for Callao have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Callao to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.283 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 333.02 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.887 degrees.||